CoEd Varsity Swim & Dive
Westfield Swim & Dive is proud to announce our first annual holiday food drive! The drive runs through December 17, and all donated items will support the WFCM food back in Chantilly VA. Donations can be made in the bin located in the Cub Run Rec Center (4630 Stonecroft Blvd) main hallway. We need items from the lists below.
Food & Beverages
- Refried Beans
- Pasta Sauce (low salt preferred)
- Tomato Sauce
- Juice (100% Fruit)
- Canned Pineapple
- Maseca Flour
- Sugar (2 lb bag)
- Canned vegetables (low salt beets, asparagus, spinach, potatoes, and collard greens)
- Toilet Paper
- Bar Soap
- Body Wash
- Large size pull-ups (for toddlers)
Next Wednesday, November 17 is Westfield's annual Meet the Coach Night for winter sports. Swim and dive coaches, as well as a Westfield Athletic Booster Club representative will be present in the cafeteria at 6:30PM. Enter the school through door 11.
Anyone that has not turned in a physical, emergency care card, and completed the vaccine information will not be allowed to participate in team tryouts.
Swim tryouts will be held on Monday November 8th through Wednesday November 10th from 4:30-5:30PM at Cub Run Rec Center. The team will be announced on Thursday November 11th. The schedule is below:
- Freshman & Juniors - Monday November 8th 4:30-5:30
- Sophmores & Seniors - Tuesday November 9th 4:30-5:30
- All Non-Club swimmers - Wednesday November 10th 4:30-5:30
Cuts will be made after each practice, Monday, Tuesday & Wednesday. Full team practices will be held on Thursday and Friday, November 11th and 12th.
Once the team has been announced the full practice schedule will be determined. Club swimmers who swim 5 days a week will be required to attend at least 1 practice a week. If you are swimming less then 5 days a week with your club you are expected at least 2 days a week. If you do not meet this minimum requirement you will not be eligible for meets.
Each athlete must submit the following information to Coach Russ by Wednesday November 3rd.
Email Club Coach:
How many days a week do you practice with your club:
Best Times & Date Achieved for the following events:
Dive tryouts will be held on Monday, November 8th, Tuesday November 9th, and Thursday November 11th from 4:30 - 5:45PM. Evaluation of student athletes at tryouts will include:
- Can divers execute dives from each of the five dive groups?
- How many dives can they execute and what is their overall degree of difficulty?
- How coachable is the student-athlete?
- Is the student-athlete able to execute dives safely?
Since many of our local summer league pools do not have dive teams, student athletes with no formal dive experience can still make the team! We ask that each student-athlete come with a good attitude and open mind when it comes to learning diving technique.
Email Andy Pratt with any questions.
Our season, while brief, requires a lot of work. The coaches can't do it all themselves, and we need parents to step up in a few different roles. We need volunteers for the following:
- Team Dinner Coordinator - email Coach Russ for more details
- Team Dinner staffing - recruited by the team dinner coordinator. Need 4-6 people at each Thursday dinner to help set up, serve, and clean up.
- Meet Officials - Ref, Starter, Stroke and Turn Judges, and Dive Judges - if interested, attend one of the two clinics on 10/27 or 11/16, both at 7PM in the Oakton High School Auditorium. To register as a swim/dive official, go to Whistle – VHSL and either click the “New Officials Registration” or “Returning Sign In” tab and follow the instructions.
- Timers - each meet may require timers. Stay tuned for more information on a per-meet basis!
Weight training is already in full swing, and tryouts begin on Monday, 11/08/2021! As we prepare for the coming season, please note the few quick items below:
- Each SCHOOL YEAR all athletes have to complete the athletic registration page https://westfield-ar.rschooltoday.com/. This will replace a lot of hard copy paperwork and allows us to complete our concussion education. If you haven't already, please register NOW for any/all sports you may tryout for.
- View the WHS Swim/Dive Calendar, or add it to the calendar software of your choice in iCal format.
- Make sure that you have an updated VHSL Physical on file. There is an updated form found here Updated VHSL Physical Form. This is the only physical form we can accept. This is good for the entire 21-22 school year. Please hand all forms into the Activities Office or scan them to Mrs. Partner, ATC firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Prescreening Activity Form must be completed prior to every practice, meet, or other team activity. Bookmark it on your phone for easy access!